Hardware Agent Setup

Ask how a feature works, how agents work, anything related to non specific agent platforms
lklawrie

Hardware Agent Setup

Post by lklawrie »

I'm trying to enter the address/map coordinates/etc.

It doesn't do an auto fill -- the map just says no satellite data at this location.
-------
Linda

lklawrie

Re: Hardware Agent Setup

Post by lklawrie »

Finally got it set up by laboriously moving the map to our approximate address.
-------
Linda

Outages.io_Support

Post by Outages.io_Support »

Yes, in some cases, auto fill cannot find the exact address which is why we make the map available to zoom in/out, positioning as needed then double clicking to set the location.

We also re-designed it a few days ago to make it more intuitive after getting some feedback. Hope you found it easy to use and understand.
I'm with the Outages.io support team. Please post your question and I'll try to answer

Are the issues in your local network, with your Internet provider or beyond?
Save countless hours by letting Outages.io help you find Internet connection problems.

lklawrie

Post by lklawrie »

We also re-designed it a few days ago to make it more intuitive after getting some feedback. Hope you found it easy to use and understand.
It was okay. Of course, it would have been nicer if I could have at least filled in the lat/long. As it was, it started from 0,0 lat/long -- so was a bit of a pain. However, I did just figure out how to actually pinpoint the location we're at.

Mostly just getting used to it.
-------
Linda

Outages.io_Support

>It was okay. Of course, it would have been nicer if I could have at least filled in the lat/long. As it was, it started from 0,0 lat/long
>so was a bit of a pain. However, I did just figure out how to actually pinpoint the location we're at.

You probably haven't seen the new design then :).
We've changed it so that there are three boxes, the first where the member just follows the list 3 things to do.
If the address is not found, the member can then use the map to position the location then double click.
The third box is the results, which we've labelled as 'non editable' so that it's clearer that this is a results box only.

The reason we don't allow editing of the final fields is because people enter all kinds of variations when they enter an open text information box. That made it impossible for the algorithm so try and figure out if there are other agents in your area experiencing problems too.

You'll notice the small map in your dashboard. If neighbors monitor in the same area, you'll all see that you're not the only one having problems.
Without consistent location data, this and other features we'll eventually make available would not be possible.
I'm with the Outages.io support team. Please post your question and I'll try to answer

Save countless hours by letting Outages.io help you find Internet connection problems.

lklawrie

Post by lklawrie »

Here's what my configure geo location screen looks like (if it will let me upload)

Even when it got to approximately my location (after moving the map from 0,0), I had to reposition the icon.
Attachments
Screen shot of configure screen
Screen shot of configure screen
Screenshot 2020-11-22 09.12.50.png (655.75 KiB) Viewed 70 times
-------
Linda

Outages.io_Support

Hi,

Yes, this is the remaining view of the old style which we will also update soon.
After getting a little feedback over the past week about this we understood that it might not be as clear as it could be.

Our priority was the initial location and device selection when you install a new agent which we changed last week.
We then created an issue (work to be done, based on priorities) to do this one next.

You can see the new method if you go to your Agents view then create a new software agent. No need to complete the installation if you're just looking, leave it in Created status and it will be removed in 24hrs.

We can always improve how things work so long as we get feedback and input so appreciate this post.

Outages.io_Support

The update to fix the Windows installer problem has been released. Simply create a new software agent which will give the download to the new version.

lklawrie

Post by lklawrie »

So, the outages widget is reporting that 92% of our problem is "internal house/building", really?

When we can't access the internet, our local router still allows us to access our devices, I believe.
-------
Linda

Outages.io_Support

Hi,

We looked at your agent data and we think that the reports are wrong.
It's because in some cases, only humans can understand where your home starts/ends and where your provider starts.
In this case, it looks to us that most of the outages are in fact with your provider but there is no way for the agent to determine this without some input from a human.

This might explain a little better and seems to be something we need to explain, write about.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=129

We have been talking about adding manual ways for members to enter which devices they know are internal and which they know are external/provider so that the classification will be better.

When you cannot reach the Internet, you should still be able to reach devices on your own network as you said.
In your case and others, the problem is that the provider is either working with/under another network owner or has bought one or more companies and has not updated it's info to be the same company. The algorithm looks up IP and company info and determines partly what is outside of the building based on this information.

Unfortunately, in some cases, it isn't possible for it to know and it takes human intervention.

Having said all of the above... it looks like you have a router/firewall, then your providers router/modem then something else that is your provider.
Can you let me know what the setup is in terms of devices I've guessed above and we can go from there.